How do I install the VT eToken software on Windows 2003R2/Vista/2008R2/7/8?
Important: You must have administrative rights on your computer to perform this installation. Users without administrative rights please see the information at the end of these instructions for configuring your browser to enable signing with your eToken. Roaming profile users should log out of their roaming profile and login as the local computer administrator.
Important: If you are upgrading from a previous VT eToken PDC Setup or reinstalling the VT eToken PDC Setup please run the "Uninstall VT eToken and PDC Software" utility provided from the Start Menu in the SafeNet folder.
Important: Note the Troubleshooting section after the install instructions on this page.
- Download the proper version for your OS.
- Enter your PID and password at the Network Software Login prompt.
- Click on the file link VT eToken xXX PDC Setup RTE v8.2 for Windows.exe.
- Once the file is downloaded, double click on it to run the installer.
- Click Next.
- Accept the license agreement.
- The installer will configure the eToken run time environment, install the root and user certificates, and configure your computer’s web browsers to use the eToken. If you see a popup stating that you must restart your system for changes to take effect, click NO. If you already clicked Yes, see bullet #5 in the Troubleshooting section below.
- Click Finish.
- Insert your eToken into your computer’s USB port.
- Verify that your software and eToken are properly configured by using the VT Digital Signature Test Page at https://ash.eprov.seti.vt.edu/pdctest/.
Note: In order for the test page to display properly, you must have Adobe Reader installed.
- Click on the Sign button.
Note: If you see a security alert dialog box, you must select Yes. To avoid this warning in the future, check Do not show this dialog box again.
- Enter your eToken password when prompted. You should see a red light flickering on your eToken device.
Note: After 10 consecutive failed password attempts, your eToken will become blocked, and the password will need to be reset at the nearest office that issues PDCs on eTokens in your area.
- After entering a correct password, you will see the Valid Signature page, which indicates that your browser is properly configured for this user only. All other users who have their own Windows logon must configure their browsers as described below.
Browser configuration for other users
Complete the following after an administrator has installed the VT eToken xXX PDC Setup RTE v8.2 for Windows and logged off.
- Logon to Windows with your user password.
- From Windows, select Start > All Programs > SafeNet> Configure Browsers for eToken.
- The VT Browser Configuration Wizard will appear. Click Next. This action will launch the wizard.
- Click Finish. Since the “Open Signature Test Page in a Web Browser” is checked by default, your default browser will automatically be launched when you click Finish and you will be directed to that page.
- Insert your eToken into your computer’s USB port.
- Continue with Step 10 above.
1. The most common problem is an error message "Please register capicom.dll" when signing the pdctest webpage. To correct this problem run the program at Start > All Programs > SafeNet> Configure Browsers for eToken or to correct the problem manually perform the following steps:
- Windows XP click on Start-> Run and enter cmd in the dialog box. Windows Vista or 7 click on start-> All Programs -> Accessories. Right click Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator.”
- Enter cd c:\windows\system32. For x64 bit OS's cd c:\windows\syswow64.
- Enter regsvr32.exe /s capicom.dll.
2. If, when you click on the Sign button on the VT Digital Signature Test Page, you see a popup asking to download a file named PKIMGR.pdf_get.b64decode (or similar), cancel the download and click on the Install Adobe Reader link just below the Sign button at the top of the page. Once Adobe Reader is installed, reload the test page and if you can see the PDF document in the lower section of the webpage, click on the sign button to begin the test.
3. Roaming profile users will need to logon to their host computers as a local administrator to install the VT eToken xXX PDC Setup RTE program, then run the browser configuration program in their roaming profile. In some cases you may have to manually setup Firefox in your roaming profile using the directions in number 4 below.
4. Firefox specific problems, i.e. you can use your PDC with Internet Explorer but not Firefox. Normally Firefox is set up with the "Configure Browsers for eToken" utility in the eToken menu, however occasionally the browser needs to be set up manually using the following steps (remove any eTokens that may be attached to your PC before beginning):
- Open Firefox and select Option -> Options from the Firefox drop down.
- Select the Advanced tab and the Encryption sub tab.
- Click on the Security Devices button.
- Ensure that some form of Aladdin eToken Module, Aladdin, or eToken is listed in the left pane followed by 5 slots, 3 of them un-named. One of the following 3 conditions will be observed:
a. No Aladdin module - add one by clicking on the Load button, in the Module Name field, enter Aladdin eToken, use the browse button or enter C:\Windows\system32\etpkcs11.dll in the "Module filename" box and click on OK, click on OK in the confirmation popup .
b. More than one module that includes any form of Aladdin eToken, Aladdin, or eToken with a path of C:\WINDOWS\system32\etpkcs11.dll (click on the module name, the path will be displayed in the right hand pane). More than one module connected to the same device will confuse the eToken. A symptom of the condition of having the two security modules causes Firefox to fail to restart once it is closed. The firefox.exe process is not visible on the taskbar, but the process remains running in the background. Unless you kill the running process under taskmanager (CTRL + ALT + DEL, click on the Processes tab, ensure the "Show processes from all users" box on the bottom left is checked, find and click on the firefox.exe process, and click on the End Process button on the bottom right) or restart the computer, upon restarting Firefox you get "A copy of Firefox is already running. Close Firefox and try again." Delete the extra module(s), by clicking on the module name and the clicking on the Unload button on the far right.
c. One Aladdin eToken, Aladdin or eToken module with a path of C:\WINDOWS\system32\etpkcs11.dll (click on the module name, the path will be displayed in the right hand pane).To verify the proper operation of the module, insert your eToken into a USB slot, wait until the red light in the eToken stops flashing and becomes solid, at this point the top slot under the eToken should change from "AKS ifdh 0" to your eToken's name. Click on your eToken's name, click on the Log In button and enter your eToken password. After a few seconds your status should now be "Logged In" in the top line of the right hand panel.
- Click the OK button at the bottom right of the Device Manager to return to Options.
- Click on the View Certificates button.
- Click on the Authorities tab and use the Scroll bar to find the Virginia Tech Root CA (Certificate Authorities are listed in alphabetical order).
- Ensure that the Virginia Tech User CA, Virginia Tech Class 1 Server CA, and the Virginia Tech Root CA are all listed under Virginia Tech Root CA.
a. If one or all of the certificates are missing use the following links to install them:
NOTE: Remove your eToken if it is inserted in your computer - you cannot install certificates while the eToken is connected to a USB port.
- You should be able to use your eToken with Firefox at this point. Verify that your software and eToken are properly configured by using the VT Digital Signature Test Page at https://ash.eprov.seti.vt.edu/pdctest/.
5. If you were notified that you must restart your system for changes to take effect during the installation of the VT eToken PDC Setup software and you are now experiencing problems with your digital signature:
- Run the program at Start > All Programs > SafeNet> Configure Browsers for eToken.
6. If the program at Start > All Programs >SafeNet >Uninstall VT eToken and PDC software does not completely uninstall all the SafeNet files and folders:
- Use Windows Explorer to remove the folders at Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Shared and /or Program Files\SafeNet. Neither folder is needed once the VT eToken and PDC software has been uninstalled.
- Remove Start > All Programs > SafeNet from the menu by right clicking on the menu item and selecting Delete.
Last updated on March 27, 2013